Wednesday, October 12, 2016

So, today was my mother's birthday. If my calculations are correct, she would have been 71 today. That seems hard to imagine.

Though, I think she would have been an elegant and wise old lady. She was an elegant and wise middle aged woman.

I feel far removed from her these days, I think - as if I don't know her any more. I think I think that, it's hard to know if it's a real thing or just an idea that's popped into my head. The downside of the mellowing of grief is that you lose the person you knew - their voice, their laugh, their immediacy. They fade.

So the idea of her at 71 is ... I don't know: Immaterial? 

1 comment:

Ms. Moon said...

Not immaterial. It's just...not.
I'm so sorry, Jo. Losing her must have been terrifically horrible for you. You always speak so highly of her. She must have been something.